Wayland would probably have remained a sleepy backwater if it hadn’t been strategically placed between two larger towns, Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. Before 1850, there was no direct route between the two cities, but in 1855 a road of thick-sawn wooden planks was built, running right through Chamber’s Corners. The busy toll road made the little village a natural stopping place for people making the trip between the two cities and the town began growing in response, creating businesses to serve the constant stream of visitors and new industries taking advantage of the easy access to Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo.
Today, Wayland is looking forward to a bright future with new businesses and industries opening their doors. Certainly the largest impact has been the Gun Lake Casino, owned by the Match-E-Be-Nash-She-Wish Band of Pottawatomi Indians of Michigan, providing jobs for many people in Wayland and continued growth. Barrier free apartments on site. Rent based on income.